Happy 2017, friends!! Cheers to a year of good health & yummy vegan food!
I thought we should kick off the new year with these HEAVENLY vegan burgers. I’ve been working at this recipe for a while now, and I think I finally cracked the code!
Black beans and tempeh create a wonderful texture for the base, sauteed onions with salt add a wonderful flavor, and a bit of corn starch and flour help bring it all together.
What I love about this recipe, is that it’s SO EASY. The patties require just 7 simple ingredients & minimal time, meaning you’ll have a burger in your hands in less than 25 minutes!
Another perk? They’re super satisfying and healthful!
Black beans and tempeh are excellent sources of fiber and protein, providing a whopping 10 grams of fiber and 16 grams of protein per patty, (1 of 4) not even counting in the bun and veggies!
Take the patty, put in on a bun toasted with vegan sriracha mayo, stuff in some caramelized onion, sliced avocado, fresh tomatoes, and greens, and you got heaven in your mouth.
What more is there to say? You gotta try these!
If you do, I would love to know what you think. Feel free to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see!
Happy cooking, friends!
- Olive oil
- ½ finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 15oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 8oz package of tempeh (roughly chopped into peices)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons fall-purpose flour
- For serving:
- 4 vegan burger buns
- SAUCE: vegan mayo + sriracha (or hot sauce) to taste
- lettuce or arugula
- sliced tomato
- sliced avocado
- all-natural ketchup
- caramelized onion
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil on a small pan and saute onion for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, combine black beans, tempeh, onion, and salt. Pulse till ingredients are broken down and crumbly, but not too fine.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in cornstarch and flour. Mash with hands till a thick dough forms and shape into four identical patties.
- Heat 2-3 teaspoons oil on a medium sized pan. Add your patties to the pan and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side or till filly heated and edges are slightly crispy.
- To assemble, spread vegan mayo with sriracha (or hot sauce) on your bun and toast on a dry or greased pan till toasted. Lay on your patty, add veggies of your choice and enjoy! Best when eaten immediately!