Veggie burgers were my favorite food when I first started eating vegan. In my opinion, they are so much better than you typical meat based burger. They are have texture, amazing flavor, and everything you need in a burger. You can even add some vegan cheese if you want!!
Since I hadn’t made burgers in quite a while, (dunno why, they’re so bomb) I decided to make some and share them with you all!!
These are infused with some Asian flavors to spice it up! There’s sweet chili sauce and soy sauce in the patty, and a simple peanut sauce to put on top.
What I love about these is they’re:
&packed with protein and fiber!!
I’d love to know if you try these!! If you do, be sure to tag your recipe @wholesomesoybean on Instagram, comment, and rate the recipe.
- FOR THE PATTIES
- 1/2 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 8 oz package tempeh
- 1 16 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup oats (blended into a fine flour)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- FOR SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- TO SERVE:
- 4 whole wheat vegan burger buns (I used ‘Nature’s Own’ brand)
- romaine lettuce or spinach
- sliced beef-steak tomato
- sliced onion
- mashed avocado
- In a medium pan, heat two teaspoons oil. Add onions and cook on medium/low heat till caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, add tempeh, black beans, sweet chili sauce, and soy sauce. Add cooked onion.
- Pulse in blender till a thick dough-like mixture is formed. Do NOT over blend or it will loose texture!
- Transfer to large bowl. With your hands, mash in scallions, oat flour, and all-purpose flour. Form round patties that fit to the size of your buns.
- Heat two teaspoons of oil on medium pan and cook patties on medium/low heat till both sides are golden brown.
- Mean while, mix together ‘sauce’ ingredients. Spread this on your patties!
- Serve on wholewheat bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and any other veggies you’d like. Enjoy!!