I love having healthy snacks on hand when I’m out and about. You feel me?
I usually stick to smoothies, fruit, or energy bites.
Most people are used to energy bars, but I much prefer energy bites, as I find them more convenient and easier to make.
So, I thought I’d share with you this favorite of mine. They’re simple, easy, and satisfying! In fact, I find them slightly addicting. Despite the fact that they’re quite healthful, their natural sweetness (provided by dates and agave), along with a tad of dark chocolate, could easily put them in the desserts category.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that it only requires 5 ingredients (as pictured) !!
The first step to making these, is toasting your oats. (as pictured bottom-left) You can do this in an oven or on the stove top. This isn’t something I would typically do, but I recently discovered that toasting the oats, rather than just leaving them raw, really enhances the flavor!
Next, combine your dates, and 1/2 your toasted oats to a food processor and pulse till a dough forms.
Combine this mixture along with the rest of the ingredients and the remaining oats (as pictured bottom-right), and mix with your hands till a thick dough forms.
Roll into bite sized pieces & stick them in the fridge to harden up a bit. …That’s all there is to it!
These make wonderful snacks when you’re on the go or at work/school and need a little extra energy to fuel you through the day!
& require just 5 ingredients + 15 minutes to make!
If you try this recipe, I’d love to know what you think! Feel free to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pitted medjool dates (about 6)
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp chopped vegan dark chocolate
- 2-3 tbsp agave
- Spread oats on a dry baking sheet, In a 350 degree oven bake for 7-8 minutes till golden. Alternatively, add oats to a large dry pan, and toast on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Add medjool dates and roughly ½ of the oats to a food processor and pulse till a thick "dough" forms.
- Transfer to mixing bowl, along with ground flax seeds, dark chocolate, agave, and the remaining oats. With your hands, mix well till a thick dough forms. Roll into 6-8 bite-sized balls. Refrigerated for at least 2 hours to harden. Store in airtight container. Enjoy!