About a year ago, I went to a Thai restaurant down town. Since then, Thai food is (totally) my thing.
I was in a loop with this recipe, because I wanted it to be flavorful, satisfying, and delicious, without requiring too much time or any exotic ingredients that would be hard for you to get your hands on.
After several tries, I finally figured it out– a Vegan Pad Thai recipe with a simple 5 ingredient sauce, crispy baked tofu, and garlicky sauteed veggies, all requiring only 30 minutes to make.
Alright, let’s do this!!
Start by sticking the tofu in the oven, so it can bake while you prepare the rest. This was my first time baking tofu which was a fantastic idea–It turned out SO GOOD! It resulted in crispy, golden tofu squares, requiring barely any oil.
Next, boil your rice noodles according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, begin cooking the veggies on the stove top. I love broccoli and mushrooms in my Pad Thai, but feel free to change it up to your liking or whatever vegetable is in season!! Carrots, snow peas, bok choy, bell pepper, and green beans, are lovely options as well.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare the sauce. Making a vegan Pad Thai sauce with simple, minimal ingredients took countless trials, but I finally figured it out.
All you’ll need is soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, lime juice, and ketchup. Yes, ketchup. Just trust me on this one.
It’s common to use tomato paste, but ketchup worked wonders for me.
I am so pleased with how this recipe turned out! It’s:
Vegan + easily gluten free
& requires just 30 minutes!
I think this is a lovely meal if you’re searching for a wholesome satisfying meal, but short on time. Enjoy with friends and family, or save leftovers to eat throughout the week.
If you try the recipe, I’d love to know what you think!! Comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram!
Happy Cooking, friends!! xx
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (or sub olive oil)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups broccoli
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 14oz pack firm tofu
- 14 oz pack Pad Thai rice noodles (You will only need half, 7oz)
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce (sub Tamari if gluten-free)
- 7 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- sriracha to taste (I used 2-3 teaspoons)
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease baking sheet with cooking spray. (I used coconut oil)
- Drain tofu and wrap in a clean cloth or paper towel. Gently press to soak out the water.
- Thinly slice (as pictured), and lay on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions. (This should take about 10 minutes.) Rinse and drain when finished.
- Mean while, heat oil on a medium sized pan on stove top. Add onions, garlic and cook on medium heat for a couple minutes. Add mushrooms and broccoli. Cover and let cook for several minutes till broccoli is cooked but fork tender. (do not over cook!)
- As it cooks, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl or mug combine sauce ingredients and mix with a fork.
- Add rice noodles to the pan and stir in your sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add tofu.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and extra lime juice or sriracha. Enjoy!!