But some nights, I crave something less cooked & heavier on the greens. This Thai Kale Salad is for one of those nights. It’s by no means 100% authentic, but rather Thai-inspired with loads for fresh veggies, tofu, and and a Asian-flavored dressing.
These salads are especially perfect when you’re in a time crunch, as they require less than 15 minutes to prepare. And if you’re craving something more filling, feel free to add in some rice noodles or warm rice.
The sunflower seed dressing is KEY. It adds loads of flavor + ultra cream-factor to your salad. I usually stick to peanut sauce/dressing, but this time, I swapped the peanuts for sunflower seeds. (bingo!)
Though the ingredients are quite similar to those in peanut sauce, sunflower seeds add a whole new flavor! All you’ll need are these 5 ingredients: sunflower seeds (without the shell, soaked overnight), tamari, agave, lime juice, and sriracha.
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s vegan, gluten-free, and packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
I would love to know if you try this recipe. Feel free to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see!
Cheers, friends! xx
- 1 14oz block firm tofu (rinsed, and chopped into small cubes)
- 4-5 cups kale (rinsed, chopped & stemmed)
- 5 large carrots (shaved with peeler into ribbons)
- handful chopped cilantro
- handful water cress (optional)
- sesame seeds
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (without the shells, soaked 2 hours-overnight)
- 5 tbsp agave (sub maple syrup)
- 4 tbsp tamari (sub liquid aminos or soy sauce)
- Juice of one small lime (sub lemon)
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha
- Night before (or a few hours) before making, soak ½ cup sunflower seeds in 1 cup water. To prepare dressing, drain extra water from sunflower seeds and add to food processor along with tamari, lime juice, agave and sriracha. Blend on high till it forms a creamy consistency. If needed add water to thin.
- In a large bowl add chopped kale and half the dressing. Massage with hands. Add shaved carrot "ribbons", tofu cubes, chopped cilantro, and water cress.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with extra cilantro, sesame seeds and additional dressing. Enjoy!