You all are going to love this one.
Chocolate Coffee Cake, topped with a creamy, decadent vegan butter-cream frosting. Made entirely free of eggs, dairy, refined sugars, and requiring only one bowl.
It’s rich, decadent, and chocolate-y, with a bit of coffee to spice it up.
Who’s in for a treat?
This week was my brother’s birthday, so I was on a mission to create the perfect dessert for him. He’s the type who doesn’t mind indulging into (very large) portions, when it comes to chocolate cake. So I knew this was the one for him.
But of course, I couldn’t keep it too original, so I added in fresh brewed coffee to the cake, and coffee grounds to the frosting.
When the cake was served, everyone loved it. (well, there was only five of us, but still–you gotta trust me on this one.)
In fact, my brother happily enjoyed 3 slices (yes, three!!), along with heaps of vegan ice cream.
With that said, I promise this will please your crowd!!
This recipe makes a wonderful treat to share at parties, potlucks, or to enjoy as a dessert at dinner gatherings with friends and family. Enjoy with a generous scoop of vegan ice cream, or for the modest cake eater, a cold glass of almond milk.
This cake is:
And generously frosted
If you try the recipe, (don’t know why you wouldn’t..) I would love to see what you come up with & how you enjoyed it! Feel free to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean Instagram, so I can see!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-natural cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups cooled coffee (1 3/4 cups water + 2 tablespoons coffee grounds)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup crushed vegan chocolate chips
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (ex: Earth Balance, Smart Balance, ect.)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Create a well in your bowl and add coffee, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and mix well, till no lumps remain.
- In a food processor, pulse chocolate chips till broken down. Fold into batter.
- Grease a 9″ round baking tin (or similar size) with vegan butter or oil and transfer batter to pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Rinse and dry your mixing bowl, and add sugar, butter, cocoa powder, coffee grounds, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on high for a few minutes till fluffy and creamy.
- Once cake is completely cool, generously frost the top and sides.
- Serve with vegan ice cream or almond milk. Enjoy!