Nope, vegan food isn’t all salads and smoothies. Plants can be transformed into wonderful things, you know.
…Such as this rich, creamy fettuccine Alfredo to satisfy your comfort food cravings, perhaps.
Though it’s on the healthier side when compared to the typical dairy-based version, cashews provide an amazing richness and ultra cream-factor to the sauce.
(Before I go on, I would like to apologize to all you nut-free readers. I promise a nut-free version is on the way! xx)
What I love about this cheezy vegan Alfredo sauce, is that it only requires 6 simple ingredients, a few minutes to whip up, and happens to be gluten-free as well!
By definition, Alfredo sauce describes “a rich pasta sauce made with butter, Parmesan cheese, and often cream”.
So, to create this purely from plant-foods, and still achieve a cheesy, velvety sauce, I used a mix of nutritional yeast + lemon juice (for cheesy-ness), cashews + almond bev. (for the cream-factor), and both salt and garlic powder to enhance and add flavor.
Then of course, you’ll need some fresh fettuccine pasta to accompany the sauce.
But first, to enhance the flavor of it all (and keep it from being plain old boring…), you gotta sauté some onions and mushrooms with garlic. This combo adds amazing flavors to the dish…and totally brings it to the next level 😉
Then, you can mix in the pasta & sauce.
To top it all off, I love a handful of fresh, chopped Italian parsley & vegan parm.
If you haven’t tried vegan parm yet, you must. It’s not my original idea/concept, but rather discovered from other vegan foodies. It’s a simple mix of cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder. (again, sorry nut-free folks…)
If you’re vegan, dairy-free, or simply open to trying somethin’ new, you gotta make this deliciousness.
I also think this would be the perfect dish for a potluck or gathering to show your friends how rich and flavorful vegan food can be made!
Not only is it 100% vegan, you can easily swap out the fettuccine pasta with a gluten-free pasta to have a full-on V/GF dish! Another perk? It takes just 20 minutes to make!
I sure hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did. If you try it, I’d love to know! Feel free to leave a comment, rate the recipe, or tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see.
Happy cooking, friends!! xx
- For the Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Everything Else:
- 1 lb fettuccini pasta
- 3-4 tbsp olive
- 1 lb white button or Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp each, salt & pepper
- For the Vegan Parm:
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- fresh parsley, chopped
- ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Rinse and drain with cold water.
- Meanwhile, combine ingredients for Vegan Parm in a high-speed blender and pulse till a parmesan cheese texture is achieved. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Then, combine sauce ingredients in your blender and mix on highest speed till smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil on a large pan. Add onions & garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes on med/low heat. While consistency mixing, add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add pasta & sauce and mix till combined. Cook another few minutes, until desired serving temperature.
- Generously top with vegan parm and fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately, or store for 1-2 days in an air-tight container.