Fried rice used to always be my family’s go-to meal for parties and potlucks, or to enjoy on weekday nights at home. I loved it–but unfortunately, it wasn’t vegan.
Since oyster sauce and fish sauce are key flavors in traditional fried rice, making vegan fried rice taste good, has been a struggle for me.
After lots of trial and error, I found a lovely flavor combo for vegan fried rice that tastes amazing. And to change it up a bit, I decided to make this a pineapple fried rice with toasted cashews to garnish. (so yum!)
This recipe makes a perfect meal for a busy day, as it only requires 20 minutes (or less) to make. It’s also vegan, soy free, and easily gluten free!
I am so excited to be sharing this recipe with you! If you try it, I would love to hear what you think. Leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see!
Happy Cooking, friends! xx
- Sesame oil
- ¾ cup cashew pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 15oz can pineapple rings (in 100% juice)
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or sub tamari, if gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha (to taste)
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (from can)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- ¾ cups frozen peas
- Optional: salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil on a medium sized pan. Add cashews and cook on medium/high heat for 2-3 minutes (while consistently stirring) till evenly toasted on all sides. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil on your pan. Drain canned pineapple, and save the juice. Chop pineapple rings into smaller pieces and add to pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on high heat till golden on the edges.
- Add mushrooms, corn, peas and cook for 1-2 minutes, till mushrooms are cooked, but still tender.
- Now add another tablespoon of sesame oil, rice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, pineapple juice, and sriracha and cook for another 3-4 minutes till much of liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in toasted cashew pieces and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve when hot!