Gather around friends, it’s pizza time.
Don’t let the idea of a cheese-less, meat-less pizza scare you away– I mean, a vegan pizza has so much to love.
Just think: Garlicky sauteed veg + barbecue sauce, all on a hot, crispy, fresh baked thin crust. (Mmmmm….)
So, what are you waiting for?!
Let’s make this!
First things first–pizza dough.
This pizza crust only requires 6 ingredients, and is fairly easy to make.
Nothing too fancy, but nonetheless–very delicious, resulting in a thin crispy crust.
Just combine the ingredients, and watch it GROW.
The first time I attempted at this recipe, the crust was too flimsy. My friend suggested I bake the crust a few minutes before adding toppings and…wha-la! (genius)
I also learned that sauteing your veggies with a tad bit of olive oil, salt, and garlic, prior to adding them to your pizza, adds a whole lot more flavor, and ensures that your veggies are fully cooked when your pizza is ready to come out of the oven.
For this recipe, I kept the toppings pretty simple; red onion, green bell pepper, and a bit of vegan parmesan (Minimalist Baker’s recipe–if you haven’t tried it, you must!)
Feel free adding loads of other toppings!! Try sliced mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, vegan cheese, or maybe even some crispy baked chickpeas (if you want to go out of your comfort zone!)
Bottom line– have fun with it & enjoy it when it’s all done!! Pizza making should always be fun and delicious.
And there you go! A flavorful, Vegan Barbecue Pizza with garlicky sauteed veggies, all on a thin, crispy crust. A wholesome, plant-based meal to enjoy with family and friends.
I sure hope you enjoy as much as we did– Cheers, friends!! xx
- 1 cup luke-warm water (not too hot!!)
- 1 packet dry yeast (1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 red onion
- 1 large green bell pepper (or two small)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup all-natural barbecue sauce (I love Trader Joe’s brand!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For the crust: In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together water and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Now, mix in salt, sugar, and olive oil. Gradually add flour, until a dough forms. Knead with hands and create a dough ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for at least an hour in a warm area. Dough should double in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Meanwhile, prepare your veggies. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on a medium sized pan and add minced garlic, thinly sliced onion and bell pepper, and salt. Cook till onions are slightly translucent.
- Once the dough is finished rising, roll it out and transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven, generously coat with barbecue sauce, top with veggies, and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, and dig in!! Enjoy when it’s hot!