..So I figured you might love a little last minute brunch inspo.
Last week, I showed you how to veganize scrambled eggs. (a.k.a. Tofu Scramble) That was a success.
“What could be next?” , you ask?
Vegan omelettes, naturally.
“How?” , you may wonder?
I’ve actually been pondering how this would work for quite a while now and recently found that silken tofu is key. (weird, right?)
But fear not. When combined with a few spices and perfectly baked in the oven, it magically turns into a flavorful, egg-like omelette with the wonderful egg-y texture.
And after it’s all put together in a crispy bun with vegan mayo, hot sauce, avocado, and sauteed veggies, you won’t care a bit that there’s tofu. You’ll be enjoying the crazy delicious-ness party going on in your mouth.
So I started out by blending up the tofu with a bunch of spices and seasonings, all of which were very similar to those I used in the tofu scramble.
As for cooking methods, I baked them. Inspired by a few other vegan chefs, I poured the batter into muffin tins, as it results in a perfect shape for the bread. (how smart)
Lastly, I served them on hot British muffins toasted with vegan mayo, along with avocado, hot sauce, and sauteed veggies. So yum.
I’m super stoked on this recipe. It really brought back childhood memories of when I used to eat egg omelettes on the weekends. (weird, right?) But really, I think a lot of you can relate.
This sort of recipe goes to show how a plant-based diet offers loads of delicious options. I think you’ll love it.
If you try it, I would love to know. Leave a comment, rate the recipe, and tag your photo @wholesomesoybean on Instagram so I can see!
Happy Cooking, friends! xx
- For the Omelettes:
- 16 oz pack silken tofu
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- For serving:
- British muffins (or English muffins)
- Avocado (mashed)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced mushrooms
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Hot sauce
- Olive oil or vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, combine tofu, garlic spices, cornstarch, and flour. Blend fill puréed. Add onion and pulse a few times.
- Generously brush 6 cups of a muffin tin with olive oil.
- Evenly divided tofu mixture into each of the six cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- To serve, slice each British muffin is half lengthwise, and spread on vegan mayonnaise. Heat pan with olive oil or vegan butter and toast your bread till warm and crispy on both sides.
- For the veggies, feel free to enjoy them raw, but I cooked them for a few minutes on a pan with olive oil and salt.
- Put your burgers together with the toppings suggested above, along with anything else you’d like! Enjoy when they’re warm and toasty!